Monday 13 December 2010

End of the year.....

This is  Margaret Starr's stand  at the Scotsdale Garden Centre Craft Show near Cambridge. http://www.scotsdalegardencentre.co.uk/    It is held in the David Rayner Cancer Centre, a great venue for a craft show, warm and comfortable for the stall holders and easy access and parking for visitors.  I popped over on Saturday (normally open the last weekend in each month, but every weekend in December) to see how Margaret was getting on.  Her delightful bags were being much admired - and bought, as well.  Well done, Margaret, and your initialled books are terrific and make a wonderful gift.

The garden centre was heaving with folk buying their Christmas trees - I do hope they all spare a few minutes to go and look at the  high quality craft on offer.  We've got a MESCH meeting this week and I have to confess that I haven't done much!
It was a busy week - keeping my mind off family troubles -  a NADFAS lecture on Mozart at Churchill College followed by our U3A Book Group Christmas tea party at the Garden House Hotel.  Well, they don't call it that now, but to us oldies that is what it will always be called.  Beautifully situated on the banks of the Cam with punts gliding by, it is quite special.  As was our tea, with dainty sandwiches, scones and  lots of fancy cakes.  And endless cups of tea whilst we discussed the book of the month - The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society. 
This year we altered our format, reading three thrillers, three romances, three comedies and three historical  books comparing the variety within the genres.  But I don't think we shall do that again, we are reverting to our old ways.  Anyway, everyone loved the Guernsey etc book and it was voted the best read of the year - but not by me!  I have just read Friday Nights by Joanna Trollope for discussion by another group and enjoyed that and now I am reading Behind the Scenes at the Museum  by Kate Atkinson.  I thought it very odd at first but as I got into it it has completely gripped me and I can hardly put it down.
I am fascinated by my fingernails at the moment!  They are daringly painted with Chanel's Diabolical varnish which, as you may imagine, is practically black.  I feel very adventurous and every time I look at my hands I get a surprise!  Such fun.   I may even go green.......

1 comment:

  1. I did like the Guernsey book but loved Behind the Scenes at the Museum too. Your fingernails sound very daring (and very fashionable)

    ReplyDelete